7.15.2009

i miss the junk drawer

i've been gradually sifting through the piles in my beloved studio. tonight, as i looked around the room, i was inspired by this lovely old vase, made from an old bottle and scrap metal. i found it several years ago at the junk drawer...a local shop that was here and then gone, in no time. oh, how i miss that little store!

so after a brief moment of reflection, i went out and cut a beautiful hydrangea, placed it in the vase, and photographed it. it's a tiny tribute to a wonderful shop that i dearly miss. isn't this lovely?



so clever. a piece of old tin, some wire around a pretty bottle, and there you have it.




and then i returned to my studio, and placed it in its usual spot, hanging from my old fashioned pencil sharpener. which i love, also.

i miss you, junk drawer! you were packed full of lovely things, reasonably priced, and you always smelled good. it was the handmade soy candles with names and scents that evoked endless memories. *sigh* i think i'll go light my "santa's whiskers" candle and mope around for a while...



11 comments:

Barbara Jean said...

That is so great!!

I love the unique and functional!!

Blessings,
barbara jean

trash talk said...

I just hate it when I lose a great shopping spot. It's like losing a best friend. I love your vase...beautiful in its simplicity!
Debbie

Sea Witch said...

A delightful posting about the "junk drawer" and its treasure trove of contents. Your favorite spot for hanging your vase is joyful. Sea Witch

Floss said...

What an ingenious way to display flowers! I can see why you regret the passing of that shop.

Jessica Rodarte said...

Sounds like a place I would miss. The flowers and vase are beautiful together.

Karen Valentine said...

Hi Mary! I agree... it's so sad to lose those favorite places. For so many reasons. But at least you have a favorite little memento. I'm very happy you are going to join us for the WBC party. I think it's going to be fabulous!!! Can't wait to see your space.

Karen
My Desert Cottage

Lori said...

oh, i think that is so sad when your favorite places close...your vase is really sweet...i have one of those pencil sharpeners too...they remind me of grade school...

Mindy said...

Absolutely wonderful. So sad that the junk drawer went away. I want to mourn with you! ~Mindy

Lori said...

That is beautiful, Mary! I have to laugh when you called the pencil sharpener "old fashioned" because I have that EXACT SAME pencil sharpener in my classroom right now!!! I love where you put your creation...

Laurie said...

Beautiful with the hydrangea. I'll bet it would be safe for a candle, too.

Pretty Things said...

Lovely!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails