7.24.2009

"where bloggers create"...my space

i think of this room as my haven. it is most often cluttered, crowded and in disarray - but when i come in here, i feel happy. just the sight of so many of my favorite things makes me smile. often this blogger just thinks about creating but that's alright with me:) it's all part of the creative cycle, they say!

our home has cherry trim throughout; and so this is what you see looking into my studio. when we decided to turn this 5th bedroom/office into my space, i just had to have white trim in here:) and creamy walls...it's very restful to me.


as you walk in and look to the right, this is what you see. my beautiful handmade inspiration board, made by my husband for my birthday a few years ago, hangs on the wall facing my only window. in the adjacent corner, is a built-in nook, which i chose to leave in its original cherry trim.

my inspiration board is fairly empty right now - but you can see where the cork has faded from all the pages that have hung there in the past.


i love my hodge podge of push pins...especially the ones made from old buttons. i also wanted to show you a close up of the frame on the board...so pretty, i think.


i bought this chippy table for the times when one of my two boys wants to join me in my studio...we can easily clear if off and they can read, draw, color, paint along with me. it gets used most often in the cozy months of fall and winter. i always have a fan with me, wherever i am - so this one is functional, not just for decoration.


the nook that i mentioned previously. mostly photo storage.


moving left around the room, you'll see my precious little pink chair and my storage closet. we removed the doors so i could hang these velvet curtains to soften things up.

a glimpse of what you've seen so far. the words above the closet say "today's beautiful moments are tomorrow's beautiful memories"


more storage - and the beginning of the slatwall. an old thrift store picture...


try as i might, i was not able to get a good photo of this spot...but here it is:) the view out my window and most importantly, one end of the gorgeous workspace my husband constructed for me. i found two old chippy doors and persuaded him to mount them in the corner for an L shaped desk. then i covered them with glass...and oh, how i love this!


here it's a little easier to see the contours of the door under the glass.


and here we are looking across the window to the other corner of the work area. this is a very real photo, as it usually is this messy on the desk space. one shelf mounted on slatwall, and lots of hooks with paper products out where i can see them.



supplies, etc.


the other end of the shelf, not really organized, but just how it happened to land:)


shabby magazine rack with 3 pockets and a sign slung over the corner...i tried to get a photo of the whole piece, but the light was poor. i'll try to do that another time and share it here.


one more time - a big thank you to karen! you had a wonderful idea and you made it happen, so that we could all enjoy this tour of creative spaces:) very, very nice...i'm off to make some visits!

44 comments:

The Vintage Vagablonde said...

How nice to see all of the things your HUBBY made for your perfect space.

I love your work table and it should be cluttered and full of fun projects.
Thanks for sharing :)

Kathy said...

Isn't it nice to have a husband who will make things for you? I really liked how you kept things "real". I know when I'm creating, I have things everywhere. Your space is wonderful and inviting. No wonder it is your "haven". ~Kathy

Anonymous said...

Wow Mary very beautiful!

The Feathered Nest said...

I just love your creative space Mary!! Such lovely things in every nook and cranny ~ Thank you so much for visiting me!!! xxoo, Dawn

~La Rustique Market~ said...

Nice studio/workspace you have. Thanks for sharing.

Lisa

Tamerie Shriver Halliday said...

Wow! What a great space to create in! It's beautiful and except for the one area that's a little messy, it looks pretty neat and straight to me. If only my work space (which is most of my house) looked as good.

Southern Lady's Vintage said...

Wonderful! Wish my workspace were half as tidy!! Thank you for sharing!

The French Bear said...

So inspiring and creative!!! I love how you have decorated everything!!! This has been such a great experience, going around and looking at everyone's space and how beautiful they are!!! Thank you for sharing yours and letting us have a peek into your creative space!!
Hugs,
Margaret B

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Thanks for sharing your studio. It's a great space. I enjoy reading your blog, and now I have a better idea of "where it all happens". ;-D
Hope you get a chance to stop by and visit me, too.
Blessings,
Donna

cindy-stitches-n-stuff.blogspot.com said...

I love the pink chair! I want the pink chair.



cindy-stitches-n-stuff.blogspot.com

Jessica Rodarte said...

What a great space, Mary. It is so warm and inviting. So many fun things to play with, too! :)

Vee said...

Oh I love your chippy door desk idea! How clever! And your husband was a smart man to just go along with you on that, too.

Claudia said...

Love your space and the inspiration board your husband made is lovely! I like the chippy table where you and your boys create together! It is a wonderful room!

Rebecca Nelson said...

Love it all, Mary! Thank you for sharing with us your incredible beautiful creative space! I'm so inspired.

Blessings to you this very day.

Hugs, Rebecca

Kara Ward said...

So lovely. Those button push pins are delicious. I want to make some. Thanks for the inspiration.

Keli McKinley Hansen said...

you have a great space as well... glad you stopped in and i popped on over... i just started looking tonight and i'm just at the "c's"! great space...i'll stop back in!

June said...

Hi Mary, I just knew your space would be lovely and I was so right. Having a place of one's own is such a gift.
Smiles,
June

LiLi M. said...

Thanks for touring me around, thanks for inspiration. Have a lovely day!

Artsy Fartsy Junkin Finds said...

To die for Creative Space you have there, I am soo jealous, LOVE it! Tootles, Janna

Dosha said...

What a beautifully creative space you live in! It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance at this lovely event; please do stop by for a visit soon!

Enjoy the party!

Warm Wishes,

Natasha
www.lifeafterdarkjewelry.blogspot.com

Michelle Hughes said...

Looks great! I am inspired by you to get my creative space together!
Michelle

NicNacManiac said...

Gorgeous creative space...I see how easy it is to be inspired in a space like this...so romantic...love the curtains over the cupboard!! The doors as tables...fantastic idea!
All those vintage finds..awesome!!

~Becca~Bluebird Rose said...

What a lovely studio!!
I didn't get my studio photographed for this event, but I am having a giveaway on my blog this weekend for "Christmas in July". Stop by if you like PINK! :)
~Becca~

Cindy said...

So much to love here...the roses print, the script over the door, the bird canvas and M, and the little sign...you've done a wonderful job of creating a cozy, serene place to craft and play in! Thanks for sharing it at the party!

-c
yapping cat

Debra said...

Seeing your space and others has been great! I like your desk alot, I did the same with my closet by adding sheers. Thanks for sharing.
Enjoy, Debra

Karen Valentine said...

What a perfectly wonderful space. Aren't our darling spouses wonderful?
I have read so many terrific stories of the great support we get from our guys!!! I am in awe of all the wonderful goodies you have to play with! Thank you so much for coming to my party. You've really helped make it a wonderful success!

Karen
My Desert Cottage

Stephanie Suzanne Designs said...

Hello,

I love your studio..it is so clean and organized..just everything flows so well. The doors covered with glass are fantastic. I have two bookcases made from chippy old doors. I left the hinges and other hardware attached for interest.

Please drop by my blog to see my "studio on progress". I just recently moved into our home and have been remodeling for almost three months..it's almost done. (I think!) :0)

See ya,
Stephanie

Sheila Rumney said...

Your studio is a lovely space to nuture your creative soul. I love the old button push pins!

Lori said...

what a great studio...you have everything so organized and at your fingertips...i LOVE your little pink chair...it is stunning!!!

Melissa Valeriote said...

Such a soothing room. I can see why you feel happy just walking through the doors.

Denise said...

Thanks for sharing your space with all of us!
Dancingly, Denise
www.dancinglydenise.typepad.com

Zita - Mlle Magpie said...

What a lovely haven you have for creating in!

Marina Capano said...

What a cute space you have!
I love it!

xoxo

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

Love you beautiful pastel colorings throughout! Very pretty creative space!!! Thanks for sharing and please come visit me too!

Sandy said...

What a sweet space to create in! I love the pink chair all stacked with fun storage and the "L" door desk is awesome! Thanks for sharing where you create.

beautifullybrokenme said...

What a beautiful space you have made for yourself - I love your old chippy doors/desk, as I'm an old chipy door person as well! Your handmade inspiration board is such a sweet gift from that hubby of yours! Thanks so much for sharing!

:-) Molly

paperbird said...

Thank you for letting me peek into your creative world. Everything is lovely, so many wonderful treasures.

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

Hey there!
Can you believe that I am still party hopping? Please forgive me for my tardiness but I've really been enjoying each and every stop. I'm much too nosey to miss the details and you totally had me at the VELVET curtains! And the slatted walls, and the chippy door table, and....well, everything!
Your space is great!!!! I really enjoyed my visit, thank you for having me!!!!!
everything vintage

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

I love your space, it's so neat and organized. I can't believe it took me so long to get over here, the party really was a huge success. Love your choice of colors too. Happy day!
~Tracie

Jayne said...

Wonderful, Mary. I like your wall hanging system alot! You have a fabulous space and I really enjoyed visiting!

Blessings,
Jayne

Connie said...

I found you on June's blog and thought I'd pop over and then noticed you're on the list for "where bloggers create", which I haven't got around to yet since there are so many, but I'm certainly glad I did get to yours, sugar!!! It's delightful and lovely. Plus I love all the eye candy you show and how you've dont a lot of "white" to your furniture. Love it, sweet chick! Nice to meet you........
xoxo,
Connie
Come by and visit sometime.

BellaRosa said...

What a lovely studio, so pretty and serene. You must love creating in there :) I loved everything from the color to all the pretty inspiring things. Rose

Anonymous said...

what a joy it is to visit your blog! I'm so glad that I finally got to your link from the blog party (I just finished drooling over your entire blog)
:) Missy

Tricia Wilson said...

You have a beautiful space Mary. Thanks for stopping by my blog and letting my know about it. I LOVE that door!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails